Wednesday, February 17, 2010

New Strokework Lesson

Another lesson done! This one is Rosemaling. Again, strokework is NOT my favorite kind of painting, but I do like this one now that it is done. I made quite a few mistakes on it, but I'm not doing it over again. I now what I did wrong, so I did learn during this lesson. Since I do NOT plan to do anymore strokework in the future, I will call it good...done...and over!! My wonderful hubby built the frame for me and I painted it. I like the way it sets off the painting!
Our next lesson is going to be a landscape and I am really looking forward to that a lot. Much less controlled painting and I think it will be fun.
I am anxious to get back to painting some other things as well. My goal in all of this is to feel confident enough, sure of my knowledge of the technical part of art, composition, color, etc...to be able to design and paint "my own thing".
Maybe I should just jump on in and quit letting my fears hold me back. I have done some work of my own, and liked it, so what is holding me back? Fear? Confidence? It certainly isn't time...I have enough of that. Time to do some soul searching and facing this head on....and solving whatever the problem might be. What do you think?? What holds you back?

6 comments:

Martha Lever said...

Hey Sue,
Thanks so much for you comment. I SO beat myself up and I appreciate you so much. this is a wonderful painting and the frame is perfect. Your stroke work paid off!!!
How are you doing? I am still praying. oxox

lori vliegen said...

your rosemaling is gorgeous sue.....if there's a mistake in there, i sure don't see it!! i'm glad you're excited about your next lesson......and i think that you should just "go for it" when it comes to doing your own thing! the fear hovers over me all of the time, too, but i'm trying to adopt a "feel the fear and do it anyway" attitude (i didn't come up with that on my own, that's the name of a book!). one day at a time, i guess!
hugs, :)))

Martha Lever said...

Hi Sue,
I have finally emerged back into the land of the living. This was a tough surgey with lots of pain and nausea. But today I got up and washed my hair and I am finally better. I will look on my other computer to see what music that is. It was very pretty. I'll let you know when I get back to the studio.

Martha Lever said...

Hi Sue! Yes, I think the paper dolls are the way to go. You can cut some arms and legs in different sizes and pose them. It works pretty well. How are you doing? I am sure you are taking it day by day and some days must be better than others. Before you get out of bed every day just ask the Lord to give you the strength for that day --and He will. Its a "manna thing...just like the Children of Israel gathered it every day just for that day.

Are you going to paint the profile kissy face in Sharons class? I tried to draw one and it was so horrendous that i tore it up into tiny pices so I could never be reminded of it again. I may have to skip this lesson.

Anonymous said...

Sue, your rosemaling is beautiful! I haven't seen it done in ages!

About the little file folder....I will scan a pattern and put it on my blog with the tutorial. How's that sound? :-)

Diane

Anonymous said...

Sue, re: tea. I haven't made the Baker St. Blend into iced tea. Not sure if it's a good choice for that because of the "rustic, smoky" flavor. It's delicious HOT!
Diane